Okay so it looks like I fell off the planet. Promise - I'm still here. The last four years have been ... hard. There's no other word for it. Everything is fine. I'm fine, but I've been the caregiver of my mom who has Dementia. Between her needs, work, etc I seem to have lost control of my time. I am still writing and am trying hard to get back to my blog.

In case you weren't aware Phaze and HSWF which where under the Mundania Umbrella have closed. I was smart enough to get my titles back before all this happened. I'm happy to say the three books I sold to HSWF have been picked up by Melange Books and are available through their Satin Books imprint. I have even sold a new title to them called Magical Quest due out in 2022

I have also been lucky enough to find a publisher for my Vespian Way series. I'm now with Blushing Books under the name of Bethany Drake. I have five titles out with them right now and am close to submitting two more. There's Desire's Destiny, Desire's Duty and Desire's Promise. Then there is two in my werewolf series, Tears of the Queen and Legend of the Tears. I have just finished the rough draft of the third book in the series and have plans for a fourth one the moment I submit it.

I'll probably still be sporadic here on the blog. Unless I win the lottery and can hire someone to help me I can't avoid it, but know I'm still here still working hard in the background and am hoping to do better at keeping my blog alive.

Barb:)



Sunday, February 14, 2016

Meet My Latest Guest Alice Orr! #amwriting

First I want to apologize to my guest, Alice and to my readers and floowers. I normally post this on Saturdays but yesterday was when we held the memorial for my mother-in-law. That was all I was focused on. I didn't even realize that I had forgotten until I woke up this morning. So a date but always fun come and meet ly latest guest.

I want to welcome Alice Orr. First I’d love you to introduce yourself.

Tell us about your latest release.

The book I’d like to focus on here is titled A Wrong Way Home and is Book 1 of my Riverton Road Romantic Suspense series. I’m now writing Book 4 but Book 1 – A Wrong Way Home – is a free eBook at Amazon and other online retailers and a good introduction to my writing. This is the story of Kara and Matt. She has come back to her hometown though she’d vowed she never would. He hoped she’d never return because she broke his heart before she left. All these two seem to have in common is the murder of a bad man and how his death can damage a lot of good people in Riverton. Now Kara and Matt must work together to find the killer before he strikes again.

Now I have a few questions for you – I have found readers do like to know fun things about us writers.

1.) Who is your favorite villain – it can be from a book (even one of yours), movie or TV show. And why?

My favorite villain and least favorite story character is Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights. I dislike him so much because he is filled with rage and bitterness and he takes out his rage and bitterness on everyone around him. He resents the hard life he had as a boy and now that he’s made himself wealthy he uses that wealth and power to take revenge. Unfortunately he’s also very sexy and that turns out to be nothing but trouble for the women who love him. My advice – stay away from guys like this.

2.) Who is your favorite character out of your books and why?

This is like asking a mother to pick her favorite child. I have to say my heroines are all my favorite characters. They are strong women but each is strong in her own way. Kara of A Wrong Way Home is in-your-face feisty. Hailey of A Year of Summer Shadows is quieter in her strength but she will do whatever is necessary – including put herself in danger – to protect those who need her. Bethany of A Vacancy at the Inn is a single mother going through a tough time but she never gives up her struggle to make life the best it can be for her son. Vanessa of A Villain for Vanessa is my current favorite because I’m writing about her right now. Her strength lies in her determination to find out the truth behind the secrets and half-truths she’s been told about her family and her life. I love all of these women who have – during my writing of this series – become my valued friends.

3.) What genre do you write? What made you pick that one?

I write Romantic Suspense. I love authors who tell a good tight thriller-mystery – from Michael Connelly to Nora Roberts with Stephen King thrown in when I want to be scared to death. They’ve made me want to write the same kind of stories. It all began with Nancy Drew and reading under the covers at night – as I suspect many of us book people did. Later on I discovered the movies of Alfred Hitchcock and I was hooked. Murder and twisted motives with a conflicted romantic relationship in the mix. Those make my favorite cup of writing tea – right down to the leaves that predict how it will end.

4.) What are you working on now?

I’m currently working on Book 4 in my Riverton Road Romantic Suspense Series called A Villain for Vanessa. It is a story about tangled roots and family secrets and that’s all I’m going to say. Because I don’t want to spoil the suspense – for me or for you.


5.) What got you to start writing?

In the eighth grade I had a teacher named Mrs. Mahon. I was a restless student. Then she assigned a writing project that really interested me. I wrote several pages without a restless moment in any of them. The day Mrs. Mahon handed back the graded papers she dropped mine on my desk as she passed by and said something that would change my life. “You know how to write, girl.” I was sure there had to be some truth in that because Mrs. Mahon wouldn’t have given a compliment to a difficult student like me unless she meant it. At last I had something I loved to do that I was good at doing.

6.) Where do you get your ideas?

Most of my ideas come from my own history. There haven’t been murderers in my life like in my stories – at least I don’t think so – but there have been lots of rumors and secrets and interesting people. In other words lots of “What if?” For example A Year of Summer Shadows came from asking myself this. “What if my father was right about Uncle Howard? What if his death really was mysterious?” The one time I heard Dad tell that tale my mother shushed up him immediately. All my life I knew there was a story behind her shushing so I finally wrote it.

7.) What would your readers be surprised to find out about you?

I write about remote northern New York State – referred to by the locals as the North Country – and a town there that is something like the town where I was born and raised. I write about that place as if I walked down its main street every day and lived the life of a smallish town person. The truth is in my day to day life I live in a place very unlike Riverton. I live in New York City and have for a long time. But somewhere near the center of my heart and my imagination I’m still back home.

8.) Do you have any special talents?

I’d say that my current and most favorite special talent is for being a loving grandma. I had a wonderful grandmother who was a huge influence in my life and my goal in life is to be to my grandkids what she was to me.

9.) What was the one piece of advice you received when you were an aspiring author that has stuck with you and why?

There’s so much good advice I’ve been given along the way but I think the most important thing for all of us as writers to hear – over and over again – is that nothing counts as much as the quality of the storytelling. You can be the most gifted marketing maven around but if the story is lacking – your career success will most likely be lacking too.

10.) If you could talk to any famous figure (present, past or fictional) who would it be and what would you talk about?

I think I’d speak to St. Francis of Assisi and ask him to tell me more about his famous prayer on love. Love is patient and kind and unselfish and so many other things in that prayer. I’d ask him to teach me how to be better at those things. Better at being loving.

11.) What song would you say describes your life?

The song that best describes my life is an old one – “You Never Walk Alone.” It’s the true truth of my life because even when I believed I was alone – I was not.

12.) If you could come back as any animal – what would it be?

If I could come back as any animal it would be a female gorilla. She loves and cares for her young and fiercely protects them against all threats. She is strong and brave and true and those are the things I’d most wish to be.




A WRONG WAY HOME
Riverton Road Romantic Suspense Book 1
Matt & Kara’s Story by Alice Orr

Going home can be dangerous.

Kara Cartwright returns to her hometown on the same night Anthony Benton is murdered. She knows nothing about that or how it will unhinge her life. She only knows she vowed never to come back to Riverton or to see Matt Kalli again.

Matt has made a vow of his own. He’ll never forgive Kara – the woman who loved him then betrayed him nine years ago. And he can’t forgive himself for the way she’s stuck in his heart.

All these two have in common is their hatred of Anthony Benton. Now Benton is dead and they could be suspects. People they care deeply about are suspects too. That gives Matt and Kara something else in common – a perilous search for the real killer before he murders again.

A Wrong Way Home is Book 1 in the Riverton Road Romantic Suspense series featuring the Kalli family – and beginning with Book 3 – the Miller family too in stories of danger and romance. A Wrong Way Home is a FREE eBook at Amazon and other online retailers. All of Alice’s books are available at http://www.amazon.com/Alice-Orr/e/B000APC22E.




Alice Orr – In Her Own Words

An Amazon reviewer says, "Alice Orr is a brilliant writer who has a Number One best seller hidden in her pocket. I look forward to more of her work." I say “Thanks!” I love to write. Especially romantic suspense novels and blog posts. I’ve been a workshop leader, book editor and literary agent. Now I live my dream of writing full-time. I’ve published thirteen novels and four novellas – both traditionally and independently – plus a memoir so far. I wrote my nonfiction book, No More Rejections, as a gift to the writers' community I cherish. A revised edition is now in progress. Amazon says, "This book has it all." About my romantic suspense, Amazon says, "Alice Orr turns up the heat." Most of all, I’m thrilled to hear from readers. Visit my website at
www.aliceorrbooks.com. I have two grown children and two perfect grandchildren and I live with my husband Jonathan in New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment