Tink...tink...tink...anyone out there? Hi! I'm Barbara Donlon Bradley - Author - editor and slightly crazy - ask anyone in my family. I hope to use this blog to talk about writing, editing and whatever pops in my head. Hope you enjoy.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Writing Down the Bones: The 10 Commandments of Fiction Writing

I found another great handout to share with you. This one came from Writer’s Digest and was written by Raymond Obstfeld. Once again I’ll be putting it in my own words. I will also be breaking it up over five sessions.

1.) Take yourself seriously: What good advice. If you don’t take yourself seriously how can other people? As an author of erotic romance I get more flack about what I write. I’ve have people try to be funny and call it smut. That’s not funny to me. I write romance. I make a difference in people’s lives. My work is important to me, don’t make fun of it. It’s hard work that occupies a lot of my time. It is serious to me and my friends and family need to respect that.


2.) Act like a professional: Always. If you are speaking to an editor you are selling yourself. They won’t read your work until you send it in. Your readers expect to see a professional as well. Again, you’re selling yourself, especially if they’ve never read your work. It doesn’t matter what you write. You are an extension of your books.

2 comments:

  1. The same guy wrote a book on scene construction that's excellent.

    ReplyDelete