Okay so it looks like I fell off the planet. Promise - I'm still here. The last four years have been ... hard. There's no other word for it. Everything is fine. I'm fine, but I've been the caregiver of my mom who has Dementia. Between her needs, work, etc I seem to have lost control of my time. I am still writing and am trying hard to get back to my blog.

In case you weren't aware Phaze and HSWF which where under the Mundania Umbrella have closed. I was smart enough to get my titles back before all this happened. I'm happy to say the three books I sold to HSWF have been picked up by Melange Books and are available through their Satin Books imprint. I have even sold a new title to them called Magical Quest due out in 2022

I have also been lucky enough to find a publisher for my Vespian Way series. I'm now with Blushing Books under the name of Bethany Drake. I have five titles out with them right now and am close to submitting two more. There's Desire's Destiny, Desire's Duty and Desire's Promise. Then there is two in my werewolf series, Tears of the Queen and Legend of the Tears. I have just finished the rough draft of the third book in the series and have plans for a fourth one the moment I submit it.

I'll probably still be sporadic here on the blog. Unless I win the lottery and can hire someone to help me I can't avoid it, but know I'm still here still working hard in the background and am hoping to do better at keeping my blog alive.

Barb:)



Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Writing Down the Bones: Setting, Mood and Atmosphere

I know I'm a little late in posting this, but it's been a busy week.

I found this wonderful handout and the only source listed is that it came from Make that Scene by William Noble.

1.) Setting

a.) In creating a sense of place you might want to consider a variety of items. Think about the scenery. Are you in a city? What are the buildings like? The streets? Are there any unique speech patterns? What is the weather like? Any folk heroes? Odors?

b.) Choose a few key features, only the ones necessary to your story.

c.)Use just enough information to paint a picture, but don’t overwhelm your reader with too much.

d.) Think of your setting s as a main character. It offers a constant in the story, can be part of the action.

e.) You can use the setting as an influence on your characters.

f.) You can use your setting to limit your plot. When your setting is limited, like to a particular location, it can control what will happen.

g.) Dialogue is another way to develop setting. You can weave drama into your setting through dialog. It allows your reader to become part of the scene.

h.) You can also establish setting through the use of time. Scene transitions establish a time change or a change of setting.

2.) Mood and Atmosphere:

a.) Use the five senses when giving details. It invokes the senses so the reader can feel the character’s feelings and emotions.

b.) The atmosphere helps the reader live what is happening on the pages.

c.) We always say use conflict but you need to use harmony too. Conflict gives the emotion and drama while harmony of the mood and atmosphere gives dimension for the action.

d.) Mood and atmosphere adds to the emotional build-up. It pulls the reader into the story and explains why characters do what they do.


e.) Mood and atmosphere can be influenced by your characters POV. Each character will view the mood and atmosphere differently because of their personality and as you switch POV’s the atmosphere and mood will change too.

No comments:

Post a Comment