Okay so it looks like I fell off the planet. Promise - I'm still here. The last four years have been ... hard. There's no other word for it. Everything is fine. I'm fine, but I've been the caregiver of my mom who has Dementia. Between her needs, work, etc I seem to have lost control of my time. I am still writing and am trying hard to get back to my blog.

In case you weren't aware Phaze and HSWF which where under the Mundania Umbrella have closed. I was smart enough to get my titles back before all this happened. I'm happy to say the three books I sold to HSWF have been picked up by Melange Books and are available through their Satin Books imprint. I have even sold a new title to them called Magical Quest due out in 2022

I have also been lucky enough to find a publisher for my Vespian Way series. I'm now with Blushing Books under the name of Bethany Drake. I have five titles out with them right now and am close to submitting two more. There's Desire's Destiny, Desire's Duty and Desire's Promise. Then there is two in my werewolf series, Tears of the Queen and Legend of the Tears. I have just finished the rough draft of the third book in the series and have plans for a fourth one the moment I submit it.

I'll probably still be sporadic here on the blog. Unless I win the lottery and can hire someone to help me I can't avoid it, but know I'm still here still working hard in the background and am hoping to do better at keeping my blog alive.

Barb:)



Saturday, December 20, 2014

Meet My Latest Guest Patricia Preston!

I want to welcome Patricia Preston. First, I’d love you to introduce yourself.

Hi, Barbara. Thanks for having me over here! I’m a Southerner, who loves to listen to epic music while sipping on sweet tea and writing romantic stories. I’m working on a mainstream historical series set in the French Quarter of New Orleans during 1814-1815. The first book of the series, TO SAVE A LADY, is available now on Amazon. I’m also finishing a contemporary romance series set in a fictional town, Lafayette Falls, near Nashville, Tennessee. Both series are romantic novels with a dash of humor and lots of emotion and action.

I also have e-novella, Almost an Outlaw, published by Carina Press available now. And I have two short comedies, set in the South and filled with quirky Southern characters, available on Amazon.

Tell us about your latest release:

I wrote a book I’d always wanted to write. Such is the joy of Indie publishing. TO SAVE A LADY defies convention as far as historicals. Although the time period would fall under Regency, it is not set in England and the hero isn’t a duke. I threw everything I love in it. Starting with the French Quarter, a dashing captain, a desperate heroine, a snarky villain, some pirates, the battle for the city, political intrigue, masquerades and moonlight courtyards. By the time I was almost finished with this book, I knew I’d have to write Rafe and Simone’s story next. French Quarter Brides are for readers who love fast-paced romantic adventures set in the past.


You can read the first chapter here: www.frenchquarterbrides.blogspot.com

Now I have a few questions for you – I have found readers do like to know fun things about us writers.


1.) Who is your favorite villain?

The Governor on Walking Dead. He was one bad guy and he got off easy. Out of all the characters, he was the one who should have been a meal for the walkers!

2.) Who is your favorite character out of your books?

Don’t make me choose! I love all my babies!

3.) What are you working on now?

I’m working on TO LOSE A LADY and the first book in the contemporary series.

4.) What got you to start writing?

I’ve been writing since I was a kid. Born a storyteller I guess!

5.) Where do you get your ideas from?

All over the place. I get ideas when I travel, when I’m doing research, from incidents that happen in life, from books, movies, even music.

6.) What would people who read your work be surprised to find out about you?

Compared to my characters, I have a quiet life.

7.) Do you have any special talents?

None that I can list here. LOL.

8.) What song would you say describes your life?

“Somewhere Over the Rainbow”

9.) If you could come back as any animal, what would it be?

A white, blue-eye Persian cat because they are so pretty.

10.) If you could talk to any famous person, who would it be?

Jean Lafitte. I’d ask him what happened to him after the Battle of New Orleans. How was it that he just vanished from history?



Social Media Links: 

Find me here:

For info on new releases and contests, sign up for my newsletter
I’m having a drawing on December 23rd for a fleur de lis necklace. Sign up for my newsletter to be entered in the drawing.

Blurb: 

A move from Paris to New Orleans brings disaster to Elise Plaisance’s predictable life as a lady’s maid. The son of her grief-stricken mistress disappears, and Elise becomes involved in a dangerous masquerade when she turns to a devious gentleman for help finding the boy. Captain Jesse Cross has journeyed to New Orleans with General Jackson’s army, but his biggest battle is one of the heart when he falls for a French girl cloaked in mystery.

With the city on the brink of war, their romance is born in the darkness of a moonlit courtyard and never meant to last forever.

Deceived by an adversary and haunted by her tragic past, Elise must risk everything to rescue her mistress’s son before all is lost, and Jesse knows he has to stop her even if it means sacrificing his honor and his life to save a lady.


He tugged her onto the banquette where a street lamp hung from a rope suspended across the street. A haze of light shimmered through the fog. He stepped back to get a better look at his quarry.
A black hooded cloak, with beaded trim, shrouded her from head to toe. An excellent garment for pursuing a man in the dark. The deep hood obscured her face, except for the half mask she wore. The sparkling gemstones scattered across her silver mask winked at him.
He couldn’t believe a woman was out at this late hour following him.
You could expect anything to happen in this bizarre city.
He shoved his pistol in his waist belt. He figured he knew who was behind this caper. “Bonnard hatched this little plot, didn’t he?”
His cousin, Lieutenant Bonnard Reid, had been enthralled by the numerous whorehouses in the city. Bonnard acted like a kid running from one candy shop to another. He visited a different whorehouse every night and returned bragging about how the women were so adept in the art of pleasure.
Bonnard had begged Jesse to join him on his escapades, but Jesse had been too busy setting up the general’s headquarters. He figured his cousin had taken the matter into his own hands.
“Wait until I see him tomorrow. He won’t pull a stunt like this again.”
“I do not know the man you call Bonnard.” She repeated the name awkwardly.
He frowned. “But you are here intentionally?”
Oui.” She stepped forward, closer to him.
The seductive scent of flowers and musk intoxicated him. Like her face, her body was hidden. It was all shadows and secrets beneath the cloak except for the flirty mask with its twinkling gems, but his imagination pictured her as a beautiful woman. Nude, of course.
“I am your liaison.” Her sensual voice was a mere whisper carried in the wind.
“Liaison?” The implication was so intimate that it aroused him. He reminded himself she could look like a toad for all he knew. She could have a husband and ten kids waiting at home for her.





1 comment: