Okay so it looks like I fell off the planet. Promise - I'm still here. The last four years have been ... hard. There's no other word for it. Everything is fine. I'm fine, but I've been the caregiver of my mom who has Dementia. Between her needs, work, etc I seem to have lost control of my time. I am still writing and am trying hard to get back to my blog.

In case you weren't aware Phaze and HSWF which where under the Mundania Umbrella have closed. I was smart enough to get my titles back before all this happened. I'm happy to say the three books I sold to HSWF have been picked up by Melange Books and are available through their Satin Books imprint. I have even sold a new title to them called Magical Quest due out in 2022

I have also been lucky enough to find a publisher for my Vespian Way series. I'm now with Blushing Books under the name of Bethany Drake. I have five titles out with them right now and am close to submitting two more. There's Desire's Destiny, Desire's Duty and Desire's Promise. Then there is two in my werewolf series, Tears of the Queen and Legend of the Tears. I have just finished the rough draft of the third book in the series and have plans for a fourth one the moment I submit it.

I'll probably still be sporadic here on the blog. Unless I win the lottery and can hire someone to help me I can't avoid it, but know I'm still here still working hard in the background and am hoping to do better at keeping my blog alive.

Barb:)



Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Random thoughts: Where dd our readers go? #MFRWAuthor #RHACafe

I hemmed and hawed over this one. Wasn't sure if I should broach the subject because I don't want to come across as a whiner, but I am curious.

Before Barnes and Noble bought out Fictionwise (and then killed it in my opinion) I had lots of readers. My books were one of their best sellers. Then they ended up closing their doors (Fictionwise not Barnes and Noble). I never saw a large boost at any other electronic book store so where did those readers migrate to?

I never looked at Barnes and Noble as be big proponent of romance. Even though romance novels take up a large section of the book market (it's been a few years since I've seen the stats so I can't give you exacts). They always seemed to ignore that pretended romance wasn't that big a deal.

Then there is Amazon. One of the biggest electronic booksellers out there and I get advertisements from them every day but most of their posts are for all kinds of things I have no interest in. The only time I see books for sale through Amazon's daily e-mail is their Kindle Direct books. Regular romance books? Nope. Erotic Romance books? Heaven forbid....

ARe is about the only one who supports the erotic writer.

There seems to be a void - what happened to the readers?

I miss the day of Waldenbooks. They embraced romance and the romance writer. And fictionwise who didn't judge your story or genre.

Barb:)

2 comments:

  1. Are your books on Smashwords? They offer the mobi format for Kindles and epub for the Nook and Kobo in addition to the more standard formats like PDF. I'd think the readers who used Fictionwise would probably switch over to Smashwords. But I'm a Kindle girl, so Amazon is my "go to" place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Kathryn! I don't have a say where my books go up and Phaze doesn't upload to smashmouth. Perhaps I should ask about that.

      Barb:)

      Delete