Okay so it looks like I fell off the planet. Promise - I'm still here. The last four years have been ... hard. There's no other word for it. Everything is fine. I'm fine, but I've been the caregiver of my mom who has Dementia. Between her needs, work, etc I seem to have lost control of my time. I am still writing and am trying hard to get back to my blog.

In case you weren't aware Phaze and HSWF which where under the Mundania Umbrella have closed. I was smart enough to get my titles back before all this happened. I'm happy to say the three books I sold to HSWF have been picked up by Melange Books and are available through their Satin Books imprint. I have even sold a new title to them called Magical Quest due out in 2022

I have also been lucky enough to find a publisher for my Vespian Way series. I'm now with Blushing Books under the name of Bethany Drake. I have five titles out with them right now and am close to submitting two more. There's Desire's Destiny, Desire's Duty and Desire's Promise. Then there is two in my werewolf series, Tears of the Queen and Legend of the Tears. I have just finished the rough draft of the third book in the series and have plans for a fourth one the moment I submit it.

I'll probably still be sporadic here on the blog. Unless I win the lottery and can hire someone to help me I can't avoid it, but know I'm still here still working hard in the background and am hoping to do better at keeping my blog alive.

Barb:)



Saturday, March 8, 2014

Meet My Guest Katya Armock!

I have another wonderful author for you guys to meet! I want to welcome Katya Armock. First I’d love you to introduce yourself, Kayla.

Sure thing! I like books that are funny and fun to read (and hot!) but also make me think or look at the world in a new way. These days you’ll find me writing, pet sitting, juggling a number of freelance gigs, and reigning as my home’s domestic goddess. I live in the Midwestern U.S. with my husband, dog and cats. Alas, I have, as of yet, been unable to teach my husband how to purr.


Tell us about your latest release
To Growl or to Groan
Her gift could save a missing girl…or destroy her relationship forever.

After receiving a troubling Tarot reading, Chloe just knows something big and bad is about to happen. Her ability to communicate with animals and shape-shifters is going awry, and her growing psychic abilities are beginning to scare her. Despite her unease, she won’t let anything interrupt her trip to Scotland to spend the holidays with her shape-shifter boyfriend’s family. Jorge is everything she’s always wanted, and the fire between Chloe and the passionate panther-shifter burns hot. But meeting his family has her nerves in knots.

When Jorge’s sister goes missing, Chloe’s psychic abilities might be the only thing that can help them find her. But things don’t go as planned, and with confusing psychic visions clouding her judgment, Chloe makes a mistake and an animal is injured. And Chloe fears she might hurt Jorge as well…

Now I have a few questions for you – I have found readers do like to know fun things about us writers.

1.) Who is your favorite villain – it can be from a book (even one of yours), movie or TV show. And why?
I have a soft spot for Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In general, that show had great villains because they were funny. Spike stands out because of the complexity of his story arc and that in the end he found a measure of redemption.

2.) Who is your favorite character out of your books? Why?
That’s a hard question. Authors tend to love all their characters. One that I really enjoy writing though is Ringo. He’s a dog (my heroine is an animal psychic) who has a huge heart, a goofy personality, and a penchant for getting into trouble.

3.) What do genre do you write? What made you pick that one?
Erotic paranormal romance. The erotic part was originally dictated by the characters. As I write and read more love scenes, I find that there can be such beautiful character development in the way people make love to each other. As for paranormal, I just enjoy it and find it fascinating.

4.)What are you working on now?
I recently submitted the third book in my Hidden Lines series, so hopefully that means I’ll be working on edits soon. I recently sent a novella to one of my beta readers that involves four friends who navigate the complicated path to becoming a family. I just started a contemporary that might end up falling in the New Adult realm. It’s too soon to tell.

5.) What got you to start writing?
I’ve written on and off all my life. I even minored in Creative Writing the first time I went to college—I say “first time” because I have three degrees and a problem with commitment. J Most recently, my second career was derailed due to a physical injury. A friend challenged me to write a romance novel. And now I’ve got two published, another written, and more in the works. Life is funny that way.

6.) Where do you get your ideas from?
Dreams, research, people and animals in my life, etc. Basically whenever the muse strikes, I strive to be ready.

7.) What would people who read your work be surprised to find out about you?
I only have one dog. I do, however, have four cats, so maybe that small number of dogs doesn’t really count…

8.) Do you have any special talents?
Not that I’m willing to share.

9.) What was the one piece of advice you received when you were an aspiring author that has stuck with you? Why?
Write what’s in your heart and believe in it. I went into writing this time around intending to have fun, and I can’t do that if I don’t believe in what I’m working on. It’s a lot of work to write a story and in some ways even more to market it. If I remember to enjoy the ride, I’m a much more pleasant person.

10.) If you could talk to any famous figure (present, past or fictional) who would it be and what would you talk about?
I have no idea how I would even begin to whittle down a list. No matter who I ended up talking with, I’d want to hear stories about their life.

Thanks so much for joining me Katya! I loved your answers - and if you learn to teach your husband to purr you'll have to tell the rest of us how you did it,,,

Here's an excerpt from To Growl or to Groan - enjoy!



Chapter One

“Which deck are you drawn to, Chloe?” The tarot reader lays out three decks before me and waves her hands over the decks. “Feel free to pick them up, look at the artwork.”
Her booth is toward the back of a new-age shop called The Abacus, not far from where I used to work. She wears jeans and a T-shirt that reads, “Tarot isn’t a matter of life or death. It’s more important than that.” I’d place her at about forty, wisps of gray intermingling in her near-black hair.
I look over the decks of cards. The first has Renaissance-type drawings. Boring. The second is purple and features whimsical faery creatures. It’s pretty and ethereal. The third is dark. On the back of each card, two serpents eating their own tails are entwined on a black background. I flip the deck, thumb through the cards. The pictures are raw and vivid; they suck me in.
“This one.” I hand the third deck back to her.
She nods. “Very good. What is your question? You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want.”
There is no reason for me not to tell her; she of all people should understand. “I want to know about my gift.”
There’s not an ounce of judgment or question in her eyes before she holds the cards to her chest for a moment and closes her eyes for a few deep breaths. I watch the rise and fall of her chest, trying to claim her calmness, but I remain fidgety and anxious.
She opens her eyes, looks at my hands tapping on the table. “It’s OK to be nervous, but there is nothing to fear. All is as it will be.”
Oh, platitudes. If I ever become a Zen master, hallelujah. In the meantime, I try to quell my inner cynic and smile at the card reader.
She laughs, as if she can read my mind. Perhaps she can. “I’m going to do a three-card reading for you. The first represents the past, the second the present, and the third the future.” She shuffles the deck, then lays it neatly on the table between us. “Cut the deck with your left hand.”
 I do, and she lays out the first card. It’s The Devil, which can’t possibly be good. At least it’s my past card.
Her face is unhelpfully blank. “Tell me your impressions of this card. It can be the name, the artwork, whatever.”
I pick it up for a closer look. The drawing is in shades of purple. At the top, a face, featuring lazy yellow eyes and downturned lips, sprouts four horns. A web of string seems to be wound among the horns and crisscrosses to form a pentagram on the devil’s forehead. From the neck down, he appears to be submerged in water and wearing some sort of vest with intricately interlocking clasps. “It is a dark picture, but it almost appears as if the figure has an angelic halo. As though all is not lost.”
She tilts her head to the side, revealing a small black goddess tattoo under her ear. “That is interesting. The Devil represents the shadow side of things. It can be lies and illusion, but it can also remind us to focus on using our power for good—to make our fate.”
Well that certainly fits and is a whole lot better than my first impression that my past must be filled with evil. Until recently, I had repressed the little I knew of why my mother left my father and me when I was ten. Now I know she left to go back to her mother to get help. I am certain it had something to do with her having a gift, just as I can telepathically communicate with animals and shape-shifters. And that means that my gift was inherited. What I don’t know is how far back in the family tree the genes go or where these gifts come from. I’m not sure I want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment