Okay so it looks like I fell off the planet. Promise - I'm still here. The last four years have been ... hard. There's no other word for it. Everything is fine. I'm fine, but I've been the caregiver of my mom who has Dementia. Between her needs, work, etc I seem to have lost control of my time. I am still writing and am trying hard to get back to my blog.

In case you weren't aware Phaze and HSWF which where under the Mundania Umbrella have closed. I was smart enough to get my titles back before all this happened. I'm happy to say the three books I sold to HSWF have been picked up by Melange Books and are available through their Satin Books imprint. I have even sold a new title to them called Magical Quest due out in 2022

I have also been lucky enough to find a publisher for my Vespian Way series. I'm now with Blushing Books under the name of Bethany Drake. I have five titles out with them right now and am close to submitting two more. There's Desire's Destiny, Desire's Duty and Desire's Promise. Then there is two in my werewolf series, Tears of the Queen and Legend of the Tears. I have just finished the rough draft of the third book in the series and have plans for a fourth one the moment I submit it.

I'll probably still be sporadic here on the blog. Unless I win the lottery and can hire someone to help me I can't avoid it, but know I'm still here still working hard in the background and am hoping to do better at keeping my blog alive.

Barb:)



Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Writing Down the Bones: First Person Vs Third Person

When you start your manuscript you need to ask yourself if you want to write in first person or third person. Although most fiction works are written in third there are a few exceptions. Murder mysteries are well known for being in first person.

There isn't a steadfast rule that says you must write in third person. I think most of us do it because it is easier to switch between your main characters when you want to switch the point of view.

But if you're going to write in first person you have to stick with it throughout the scene (and most stick to the one character through the whole book) you're working on. Writing it all in first person then suddenly switching to third will confuse your reader.

I have noticed if you decide to write in first person you will learn point of view very quickly. You can only convey what is going on through the eyes of your character and no one else in that scene. POV purists will tell you that you have to do that with third person as well, but I have seen authors switch in the middle of a scene - in fact I'm guilty of it myself - if there was something I wanted to convey and it only takes one line I will switch POV's for that moment. It's a lot more jarring when you switch from first person to third person.

I know, you've read books by very famous authors who head hop all the time. Big name authors can break the rules, but those of us who are just starting out shouldn't. Publishers want a clean manuscript. They don't have the time to teach an author the art of writing and if your story is good but needs a lot of editing and there is another manuscript that is good but doesn't have to be cleaned up that much guess which one the editor is going to buy?

The decision to write in first or third is up to the author. It depends on how you want to convey the story. Once you decide though stick to it. Don't confuse your readers, your editor or yourself by switching back and forth.




No comments:

Post a Comment